Sunday, July 13, 2014

Teachers: Wonder

     Professionally we are suppose to have it all together. We are suppose to look at students as equal people. I often wonder if Auggie was placed into my classroom what would happen, yes over time he would be accepted, but I know almost without a doubt that our first look at him would be just the same as everyone else. I can't explain it but I know we would have the moment where we would look at him and freeze and wonder what was going on. How do we prevent this? I don't know that we can. I truly know that I try to accept everyone as equals but I still fail when it comes to this. I know that I am not perfect but in my classroom I try my best to be a teacher that it accepting and promoting a positive atmosphere. I encourage them to be accepting of others that may be different because really we're all the same.  

No comments: